[Samba] /etc/hosts and DHCP

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 24 21:08:49 UTC 2015

I am trying to follow the advice on
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server.  Among
other things, it says "Make sure that your /etc/hosts has a valid entry for
resolving your hostname to its public IP (not 127.0.0.1!), when you join
the domain:"

But my machine is using DHCP and so I can't hard code this.  What to do?

I am using Debian's resolvconf and bind.  I suspect I'll need to use bind
to manage things properly, but perhaps I could let samba do the name
resolution.

A possibly related issue is that the machine has 2 network interfaces, one
for a private network and one for the public one that participates in the
AD.  So there is not one right answer for the name -> IP resolution, though
possibly the fully qualified domain name that goes with active directory
could be reserved for the external IP.

I'm going on the assumption that "AD Member Server" is what I want, because
I want to join the domain, use it for authentication, and server files.
Originally I thought "Member Server" meant I was publicly serving up
members of the domain; that is not my intention.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan