[Samba] exam projects

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Sep 24 13:18:13 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 03:30 PM, buhorojo wrote:
> Hi
> A question came today about appliances. We had a look here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/VirtualMachines
> but that seems to be for setting up a machine. We would still need to
> install it. What we want to do is have an appliance so we don't have
> to install to just play around to see if we can get a project out of
> it. We don't know if it's possible to have a AD setup as an appliance.
> Lots of other unknowns too such as how would we change the domain name
> and ips. Anyway, if anyone has any experience of this that would be
> great. Thanks.

For an appliance, consider an armv7 board.  Some like Raspberry, I do
not.  I use the Cubieboards.  The Cubieboard2 can be had for $65 and is
better than a RPi2.  With Sata etc.  Fedora22 is available; F23 in beta
as is Centos7.

I have a Cubieboard with the Centos7-arm beta.  I have a special build
of the sernet 4.2 for it.

You can run your armv7 completely on a 16Gb mSD card.  With the
Cubieboards, you can easily use sata by putting all your partitions on
the sata (connect it to your installation system with a USB/sata adapter
to do this), and ONLY have uboot on a 4Gb cheap mSD (do the install on
the mSD, then delete all partitions).

Have fun!  I am.