[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:38:30 UTC 2015

> On 23/09/15 13:09, mathias dufresne wrote:

>> J.Morillo at educationetformation.fr>
>> :
>>
>> It's not comparable
>>> Samba can also be compiled.
>>> Just install dependency with yum or apt (see wiki) and juste ./configure
>>> && make && make install
>>>
>>> Never just perform ./configure && make && make install.
>> Never.
>>

> Why not ? it will put all the files in the place that the wiki expects
> them to be.

Mainly because a configure script is to configure the resultant binaries.
If you waste time in compilation at least you should take time to check
what the product offers you.

Here the discussion is about replacing Samba from Sernet by compiled Samba
and in that discussion there was : "The pain is for converting existing DC
install from sernet to source."

Proceeding to ./configure --help and taking time to read it there is:
"  Samba-specific directory layout:
    --enable-fhs
            Use FHS-compliant paths (default no)
            You should consider using this together with:
            --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
"
Which makes compiled Samba looking like a Sernet Samba (almost, in some
other mail you told me some paths should also be added). And no pain
switching from Sernet.

In some other thread some user who compiled its Samba add only one switch
to its configure script: --with-acl-support.
You, Rowland, made the remark that switch by default :
./configure --help | grep acl -A1
  --with-acl-support
            Build with acl-support support (default=yes)

That's why I really think ./configure && make && make install is NOT
advisable.

>> Always do first:
>> ./configure --help
>> Then read.
>>
>> Then think.
>>
>> Most of times, re-read.
>>
>> Then you would run the configure script associated with chosen options.
>>

> What options would you want to change ? with the defaults you will get
> samba installed to /usr/local/samba and you can then use the installation
> to run samba however you like.

What Samba do you obtain by default? Is it the one all of us need? What
about automagically added dependencies?
On the Centos7 I have to use I had to install pam-devel and xfsprogs-devel
for ./configure stop complaining too much and compile stuffs related to pam
and xfs. Don't ask me what are these added these features exactly and I'm
almost certain I didn't played with these added features.
But the point is as I took time to check what is proposed in configure
script's help, I do know for a compiled version of Samba4 some features
about XFS and PAM can be missing because of the lack of these two headers
rpms.

> Then you check what the script told you, dev put colorrs in logs, thanks to
>> them.
>>

> Pardon? could you write that again, but in English

Then you check what the script told you -> check the script's logs.
dev put colorrs in logs -> Samba Team developers added colors in configure
script's logs to help us to see issues.
thanks to them -> really, thank you :)

>> Sometimes you would have to install missing stuff on system side to
>> satisfy
>> automagical dependencies.
>>

> If you install what the wiki tells you to, you shouldn't have to install
> anything else.

Were missing on my system:
pycrypto for trust relationship on my Centos 7 (a "master" from the company
I work with, could be present by default in others Centos 7, no idea)
pam-devel -> see earlier
xfsprogs-devel -> idem

>> Then re-run the script. Re-check,
>>
>> You are finally happy? Now you can run make && make install.
>>

>> It's free but Just take little more time. Don't have to be a Unix guru ;-)
>>> The pain is for converting existing DC install from sernet to source. By
>>> default, path are not the same
>>>
>>> If you really did read configuration options proposed by this configure
>> script, there is absolutely no pain switching from sernet version to a
>> compiled one (hint: --enable-fhs).
>>

> I don't think '--enable-fhs' is enough

Just a hint, the logs from --help tells:
  Samba-specific directory layout:
    --enable-fhs
            Use FHS-compliant paths (default no)
            You should consider using this together with:
            --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

Then if someone search this list about --enable-fhs I spoke about that in
some thread and you replied to me adding some paths (and I'm sorry I didn't
compiled any version since, so I didn't tested what you gave me. But I
didn't forgot you gave these info :p)

>> Sorry about that but "./configure && make && make install" is not viable
>> obtain what you expected. It is the way to obtain the default binaries
>> (which options?) in the default place (/usr/local but how things are
>> organized in that folder?).
>>

> They are organised as expected by the wiki, but why does it matter how
> they are organised as long as the binaries know where things are.

Stupid purist? Maniaco-depressive? Or just to avoid "The pain is for
converting existing DC install from sernet to source."

Cheers,

mathias