[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 18:39:25 UTC 2015

On 22/09/15 19:06, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am in a condry as well.  I have spent a lot of time learning about
> AD and using Sernet.  Do I continue?  In large measure, I can stay
> with the free 4.2 I am using and learn more about AD over the next
> couple years.
>
> Or I can use the Centos 4.1 and just go with a PDC yet again.
>
> With all the Holidays at this time of year, I won't be doing much
> testing anyway.
>
> On 09/22/2015 12:51 PM, oeh univie edv lists wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>>> it´s obvious that not that much people build their own packages because
>> they don´t have the necessary experience.
>>
>> that would definitely be me. I struggle enough as a newbie and the
>> idea of
>> compiling and error solving afterwards makes me feel VERY uneasy...
>> also I
>> wouldn't know how to deal with no automatic updates...
>>
>> Before I read this thread, I wanted to install sernet samba because
>> then I
>> could have applied easily what I learned. (That's what I read:
>> http://www.kania-online.de/fachbuecher/samba-4/ )
>>
>> Now I still I have no clue if I have to build from source or if I
>> just can
>> install the samba 4.1.17 package that comes with debian jessie. My
>> environment should be as simple as possible, just 2 ADs, 1 file server,
>> one backup machine, user logins, profiles that write back from
>> clients to
>> the server, home directories, quota, some shares, some network printers.
>> maybe later on, but only if pressure exists from employees: VPN.
>>
>> So am I on the safe side to just install 4.1.17 or should I consider
>> building from source? Can I have all the features I mentioned? Should
>> I be
>> concerned about security because I use 4.1.17 and not the newest
>> (sernet)?
>>   If I have to build from source, please mention why, maybe I could
>> avoid a
>> feature to not have to compile...
>>
>> This setup is for a non-profit organisation... The decision to change to
>> debian was costly-based (so hard to argue now to buy something except
>> the
>> hardware (please don't open another if it's fair or not discussion.
>> thank
>> you))....
>>
>> Also sernet 4.3 doesn't seem to be for jessie
>> https://shop.samba.plus/samba-/273/samba-1-jahr ... I could install free
>> sernet 4.2 but then I would have to pay when I need updates....
>>
>> Ah and another question: Can I still use the install guide from
>> http://www.kania-online.de/fachbuecher/samba-4/ that was written for 4.1
>> sernet samba or should I use something else because 4.1 sernet samba and
>> 4.1 debian packaged samba differ a lot?
>>
>> Hope there are other newbies like me that may profit from your
>> answers to
>> my stupid questions.... (about the stupid: but I also think access to
> [...]

I would stick with Sernet for testing purposes, but when you go to
production, I would compile Samba yourself, this way you can upgrade if
so required. Everything will work just like the Sernet packages, all
that will happen is the binaries etc will be in a different place. All
the info on how to compile samba is on the Samba wiki and if in doubt,
ask here.

Rowland