[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue Sep 22 14:17:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-22 12:24, Peter Grotz - Obel und Partner GbR wrote:
> Come on Rowland,
>
> it´s obvious that not that much people build their own packages because they don´t have the necessary experience. But they want to help testing the new AD features that the samba team develops. Using Suse or RedHat AD is not really usable. So people take centos or debian or something similar to use these great work done by the samba team.
> In my opinion the lack of a common test basis will outbrake community and in consequence the whole samba project.

I think you're overestimating the importance of the Sernet packages.
Most users are using the distribution packages and that won't change.

> I understand that sernet must be paid for their work in some kind of way but when you look at their prices: omg!!! A small company with let´s say 2 DCs an 2 fileserver must pay 1380€ per year?!

1160€, you're not paying MwSt on it… That's actually a fair price if it
includes commercial support.

> Come on Rowland! That way we can change for MS in the same way. That´s maybe cheaper...  :( A lot of people might think that way.
> Wheater this is good for the samba project I don’t know.
>
> No harm meant!
>
> Peter

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at