[Samba] Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Sep 21 12:25:47 UTC 2015

I own my small business and make decisions, some I don't like, that are
based on a logical set of facts that are driven by public demands.
Sernet has made their decision based on a logical set of facts. We, as
users of Samba4, get to move forward and live with their decision.

I, for one, am extremely interested in Mathis Dufresne shared
information here about installing Samba from the latest tarball file
offered by the Samba team.

But, comes to mind this fact. I have, while building my ADDC system had
the experience of (at one point) running a Debian Wheezy with Samba
4.1.17 as my DC and it preformed all my needed functions for my W7
clients. Now, granted my whole system consists of two Samba servers (CD
& member server) and two W7 clients. I have little need for tight
security, I just "need to get my jobs done" and have my information
available.

If I had ten employees (or for that matter 100) I might not think
anything about paying Sernet for support. That, I believe, is what they
are selling. Support not Samba4.

As with all of the many things that effect our lives, life changes,
again!
---

_______________________________

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846
www.donelsontrophy.com [4]

"Everyone deserves an award!!"

On 2015-09-21 06:51, mathias dufresne wrote:

> [...]
> gnutls-devel readline-devel python-devel gdb pkgconfig
> krb5-workstation zlib-devel setroubleshoot-server libaio-devel
> setroubleshoot-plugins policycoreutils-python
> libsemanage-python perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker perl-Parse-Yapp
> perl-Test-Base popt-devel libxml2-devel libattr-devel
> keyutils-libs-devel cups-devel bind-utils libxslt
> docbook-style-xsl openldap-devel autoconf
> yum install --assumeyes redhat-lsb-core pycrypto pam-devel xfsprogs-devel
>
> tar xfz samba-4.3.0.tar.gz --directory=/root
> cd /root/samba-4.3.0
>
> cpu_count="`cat /proc/cpuinfo | awk '{ if($1 == "processor") print $3 }'
> | tail -1`"
> jobs=$(($cpu_count + 2))
> ./configure --enable-fhs --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
> --localstatedir=/var -j$jobs
> make -j$jobs
> make install
> cd -
>
> echo /usr/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/samba4
> ldconfig
>
> First "yum install" should come from samba wiki without modification.
> The second one is for:
> redhat-lsb-core -> reuse sernet's init script
> pycrypto -> be able to create trust relationship (some error was displayed
> without that package, I believe this package can be installed after
> compilation time)
> pam-devel + xfsprogs-devel -> more functionalities in Samba related to PAM
> and XFS.
>
> echo /usr/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/samba4 ; ldconfig -> Samba was refusing
> to start complaining it did no find some libraries which are hosted in
> /usr/lib. I'm still wondering why this is needed as /usr/lib should be
> already added... Anyway, adding that solve the issue.
>
> The resultant binaries seems, to me, to work as Sernet package was working.
> But I did not check all paths nor all functionalities.
>
> Perhaps, we - the mailing list users - should work together to define a
> standard way to compile... No idea about how complex this would be...
>
> This would address to lost of Sernet packages and we also could provide
> link to the compilation wiki page to users who compiled their Samba in a
> rush (sometimes even without proceeding to ./configure --help)

> Il giorno lun, 21/09/2015 alle 10.46 +0200, Reindl Harald ha scritto: find some distribution like CentOS/Debian/Fedora which does that for you The standard CentOS/Fedora's package do not have the full support to AD I have found this howto for rebuild it and add AD support. http://negativo17.org/samba-4-active-directory-with-bind-dlz-zones-dynamic-dns-updates-windows-static-rpc/ [1] and http://negativo17.org/samba-4-active-directory-with-bind-dlz-zones-dynamic-dns-updates-windows-static-rpc-2/ [2] Is this really so ? Thanks for info. -- Dario Lesca (inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 22 con Gnome 3.16) -- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba [3]

Links:
------
[1]
[3] https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba