[Samba] Problems with migrating users and groups with classicupgrade

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Sep 16 18:17:35 UTC 2015

I am assuming that I need to migrate my users and groups if I expect to
move my user profiles.

Migrating computers is a second question.  But on with details.

My current setup is a ClearOS server running as a PDC.  I get the
following information from it:

# wbinfo -u
winadmin
guest
rgm
abba
imma
guest2
superrgm

After running:

samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=/root/samba.PDC/dbdir/
--use-xattrs=yes --realm=HOME.HTT --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
/root/samba.PDC/etc/smb.conf

and getting all the services running here I get:

# wbinfo -u
administrator
dns-homebase
dhcpduser
krbtgt
guest

So what went wrong?  Why did not my users make it through the
migration?  I am attaching the output of the upgrade.  I have already
changed the password, so don't yell at me for not blanking that out.

# samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=/root/samba.PDC/dbdir/
--use-xattrs=yes --realm=HOME.HTT --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
/root/samba.PDC/etc/smb.conf
Reading smb.conf
NOTE: Service printers is flagged unavailable.
NOTE: Service print$ is flagged unavailable.
Unknown parameter encountered: "force directory security mode"
Ignoring unknown parameter "force directory security mode"
Provisioning
Exporting account policy
Exporting groups
Exporting users
Next rid = 1000
Exporting posix attributes
Reading WINS database
Looking up IPv4 addresses
Looking up IPv6 addresses
No IPv6 address will be assigned
Setting up share.ldb
Setting up secrets.ldb
Setting up the registry
Setting up the privileges database
Setting up idmap db
Setting up SAM db
Setting up sam.ldb partitions and settings
Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
Adding DomainDN: DC=home,DC=htt
Adding configuration container
Setting up sam.ldb schema
Setting up sam.ldb configuration data
Setting up display specifiers
Modifying display specifiers
Adding users container
Modifying users container
Adding computers container
Modifying computers container
Setting up sam.ldb data
Setting up well known security principals
Setting up sam.ldb users and groups
Setting up self join
Setting acl on sysvol skipped
Adding DNS accounts
Creating CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System,DC=home,DC=htt
Creating DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones partitions
Populating DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones partitions
Unable to find group id for BIND,
                 set permissions to sam.ldb* files manually
BIND version unknown, please modify /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf
manually.
See /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf for an example configuration
include file for BIND
and /var/lib/samba/private/named.txt for further documentation required
for secure DNS updates
Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE marking as synchronized
Fixing provision GUIDs
A Kerberos configuration suitable for Samba 4 has been generated at
/var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf
Setting up fake yp server settings
Once the above files are installed, your Samba4 server will be ready to use
Admin password:        ~G6;C~ojZ3<elpCAx[MH
Server Role:           active directory domain controller
Hostname:              homebase
NetBIOS Domain:        HOME
DNS Domain:            home.htt
DOMAIN SID:            S-1-5-21-4240919292-2417995422-4236335894
Importing WINS database
Importing Account policy
Importing idmap database
Cannot open idmap database, Ignoring: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Adding groups
Importing groups
Committing 'add groups' transaction to disk
Adding users
Importing users
Committing 'add users' transaction to disk
Adding users to groups
Committing 'add users to groups' transaction to disk