[Samba] version question regarding Louis's samba ADDC install scripts for Debian Sernet packages

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Sep 14 14:57:00 UTC 2015

Hai Derek,

Sure no problem at all.
Read between the Lines, i commented them.

[L.P.H. van Belle] Yes, correct.

> Details of the samba package for jessie show samba version 4.1.17 - is
> this correct as far as you know?
[L.P.H. van Belle] Yes, correct also.

> This script also repeats the 1-tools script -- you may want to comment
> this section out so you don't mess with the install of someone like me
> who has already run the 1-tools script (and customized it for vm
> installation with esxi, etc). lines 180-185.
[L.P.H. van Belle] It should not change the settings.
Only the default editor, i removed that part, only the needed things are checked.
In the future, i'll change the different scripts to 1 script.

> In the 0-setup-apt-debian-4 script, lines 49-54, there is an
> entry/explanation that I don't understand:
> > ###### Debian Backports apt setup
> > ## not needed for debian testing/sid
> > ## set to yes if
> > ## 1) dont want to use sernet-samba
> > ## 2) You are using debian wheezy and you want samba 4.1.x
> > APT_BACKPORTS_ENABLED="no"
[L.P.H. van Belle] tekst changed, explained a bit better there.
In the 0-setup-apt-debian-4 i added jessie and sernet support.

> I'm guessing now that the only way to get samba 4.2 (without compiling
> it myself) on debian 8 is to use the sernet packages.  Can you confirm
> that?  In other words, this script is probably not a good fit if I
> decide I want the sernet 4.2 packages with Jessie, yes?.
[L.P.H. van Belle] Yes, thats correct, but wait... i've added it also.
But I did not test it yet.
The 0-setup-apt-debian-4 has now the option for Jessie to add sernet support.
If that is done, you can enable in the 4-jessie-dc script also sernet samba.

But again, i've not tested it yet, i to buzzy atm at work :-(

Greetz,

Louis