[Samba] Testing AD with first XP client

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Fri Sep 11 18:15:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> So now I am up to testing the AD from the network.  I am using an XP client
> (the only Win OS I have here)  The notebook is a 'new' load with all patches.
> It does not have user login control yet (so effectively in as Administrator
> on it) and workgroup is WORKGROUP.

I take it that means you haven't joined the domain yet.  That would be my
first step in testing.

> Net view /DOMAIN:HOME.HTT
>
> came back (after a long wait) with:
>
> System error 6118 has occured.
>
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.
>
> I did set 'guest ok = yes' for the [Demo] share.

I'm not really familiar with the NET commands on Windows (particularly
VIEW), but /DOMAIN might not work if you're not on the domain.  You might
just try browsing to \\homebase\demo in explorer.  Or "net use Z:
\\homebase\demo"