[Samba] Testing AD with first XP client

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 11 18:06:36 UTC 2015

So now I am up to testing the AD from the network.  I am using an XP
client (the only Win OS I have here)  The notebook is a 'new' load with
all patches.  It does not have user login control yet (so effectively in
as Administrator on it) and workgroup is WORKGROUP.

The notebook got its DHCP lease, but there is a problem with the dyndns
script.  I am researching that, as the prior AD did it right for a Linux
client (and for DHCP, the OS should not matter).

None of the shares are showing in Explore.  From the Command window:

net view \\HOMEBASE

gets

System error 53 has occured.

Access is denied.

net view

only lists the notebook.

Net view /DOMAIN:HOME.HTT

came back (after a long wait) with:

System error 6118 has occured.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I did set 'guest ok = yes' for the [Demo] share.