[Samba] Accidentially upgraded production DC to git master branch

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 10 22:42:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 15:06 +0300, Pinja-Liina Jalkanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a domain with two DCs that run Samba. Let's call them Primary
> and
> Secondary. Primary holds all the FSMO roles.
>
> Just a few minutes ago I thought that both machines were running
> Samba
> 4.2.3. But then, to my horror, I realised that that wasn't the case
> on
> Primary:
>
> 	~# samba --version
> 	Version 4.4.0pre1-GIT-1fcad53
>
> So I've accidentially installed a development version of Samba on a
> production machine, and not even realised it for a month, because
> there
> hasn't been any problems.
>

> Any suggestions?

First, don't stress.  Samba 4.3 and git master of today really are not
that different, particularly in the AD DC.

Second, don't make any rushed changes - your system likely just as
functional as it was before, and you are helping us test out git
master. :-)

The database remains totally compatible (indeed back down to 4.0 as far
as I know, but this direction isn't tested).

When you are comfortable, the process to install 4.3 is just to check
out that tag, build, remove the old binaries and libraries and install.

Naturally, keep taking your regular backups of the state before you do
this.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett
--