[Samba] Migration samba 4.1.1 -> samba 4.3

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Sep 10 17:41:45 UTC 2015

Hello Stéphane,

Am 10.09.2015 um 18:27 schrieb Stéphane PURNELLE:
> So, if I do a backup of DC (samba_backup script), if I do a snapshot of the
> VM.

If you want to go the very save way, shutdown Samba on all your DCs and
take an offline backup. Then you have a domain wide consistent backup
and if something goes wrong, you can reset to this state on all DCs.

However as longer the DCs are up after the update, as more could have
changed inside the directory. Even if you don't create users, etc.,
things may change in the background, like machines change their
password. If you reset your DCs then, those machines need to be rejoined
to the domain.

> What problem can I have  when I will start samba daemon
>
> How to check if all is OK ?

Depents on your network. E. g.
- check if directory replication
- check if member server retrieve the accounts from the DCs
- check kerberos
- domain logon
- roaming profiles
- etc. - it really depents what services you're providing

Regards,
Marc