[Samba] Accidentially upgraded production DC to git master branch

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:31:25 UTC 2015

On 10/09/15 13:06, Pinja-Liina Jalkanen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a domain with two DCs that run Samba. Let's call them Primary and
> Secondary. Primary holds all the FSMO roles.
>
> Just a few minutes ago I thought that both machines were running Samba
> 4.2.3. But then, to my horror, I realised that that wasn't the case on
> Primary:
>
> 	~# samba --version
> 	Version 4.4.0pre1-GIT-1fcad53
>
> So I've accidentially installed a development version of Samba on a
> production machine, and not even realised it for a month, because there
> hasn't been any problems.
>
> Secondary runs 4.2.3, as Primary should have been.
>
> I want to return to a supported version of Samba, whatever it is (4.2 or
> 4.3). What is the right way to remedy this? Do I have to demote Primary
> and re-join it, or would it be safe to just downgrade Primary to, say,
> 4.3.0?
>
> As far as I know I currently have no replication or other problems, but
> with Primary running whatever was bleeding edge a month ago, my current
> situation feels precarious at best.
>
> Any suggestions?

I fail to see how you can accidentally install a development release,
you would have had to do a git pull then ./configure, make, make install.

Anyway, that is what you are going to have to do, but instead of doing a
git pull, download the tarball for 4.3.0 and unpack this, stop samba,
back it up and then compile samba using the same settings as when you
installed the wrong version. Once installed, restart samba again and you
should now be using version 4.3.0

Rowland