[Samba] Samba4 AD DC User Home Directories?

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 03:39:02 UTC 2015

Marc Muehlfeld skrev den 2015-09-09 19:53:
> Hello Jim,
>
> Am 09.09.2015 um 14:19 schrieb Jim Seymour:
>> User home directories.  My Samba3 server has, in smb.conf:
>>
>>      [homes]
>>         comment = Home Directories
>>         browseable = no
>>         guest ok = no
>>         read only = no
>>         inherit permissions = yes
>>         ; For brain-dead MS-VC++
>>         dos filetime resolution = True
>>
>> This doc, at the Wiki:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WIP/Beginner_HowTo_-_SOHO_business_server
>> says you need something like:

Is that page still hanging around?! Sorry. Marc, would you mind removing it.

>>      [home]
>>              path = /data/home
>>              comment = Homedirectories
>>              read only = No
>>
>>              vfs objects = acl_xattr recycle
>>              acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
>>              recycle:keeptree = yes
>>              recycle:versions = yes
>>              recycle:maxsize = 1073741824
>>
>>              csc policy = programs
>

> I didn't wrote that SOHO page, but
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives
>
> I don't recommend on AD to use the [homes] share, which auto-create on
> the fly the users home share (\\server\username). If you have a share
> (name it something different, like "home", "homedirs", etc.), that you
> can set the permissions so, that if you create a new user with ADUC, the
> home directory is automatically created with the right permissions you
> want. This allows you to delegate account creation to someone without AD
> experience and low privileges and no root or high-level access. And you
> have less trouble with folder redirection via GPO.

The goal with the AD DC (and Samba as whole) is to act as the Windows
counterpart. The wikipage implies that you manage the AD DC from the
MMCs; ADUC, Computer Manegement, DNS and other Microsoft tools, as Marc
also implies. Although the SOHO-server works quite fine it is better in
the long run to seperate the AD DC from file-/printersharing. For now.

Regards
Davor