[Samba] Samba4 AD DC User Home Directories?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Sep 9 17:53:59 UTC 2015

Hello Jim,

Am 09.09.2015 um 14:19 schrieb Jim Seymour:
> User home directories.  My Samba3 server has, in smb.conf:
>
>     [homes]
>        comment = Home Directories
>        browseable = no
>        guest ok = no
>        read only = no
>        inherit permissions = yes
>        ; For brain-dead MS-VC++
>        dos filetime resolution = True
>
> This doc, at the Wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WIP/Beginner_HowTo_-_SOHO_business_server
> says you need something like:
>
>     [home]
>             path = /data/home
>             comment = Homedirectories
>             read only = No
>
>             vfs objects = acl_xattr recycle
>             acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
>             recycle:keeptree = yes
>             recycle:versions = yes
>             recycle:maxsize = 1073741824
>
>             csc policy = programs

I didn't wrote that SOHO page, but
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives

I don't recommend on AD to use the [homes] share, which auto-create on
the fly the users home share (\\server\username). If you have a share
(name it something different, like "home", "homedirs", etc.), that you
can set the permissions so, that if you create a new user with ADUC, the
home directory is automatically created with the right permissions you
want. This allows you to delegate account creation to someone without AD
experience and low privileges and no root or high-level access. And you
have less trouble with folder redirection via GPO.

Regards,
Marc