[Samba] Bind flat file support

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Sep 8 14:06:05 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 09/07/2015 07:41 PM, John Gardeniers wrote:
>>
>>  It doesn't break compatibility with MS, unless you're talking about the
>>  RSAT DNS tool, which is a lot more cumbersome than a text editor anyway
>>  and it's pretty much assumed that if you're using Samba you're a Linux
>>  sysadmin, so not being able to use the RSAT DNS tool should not be a
>>  problem.
>
> If you mix MS servers and backup ADs with Samba, seems you will have one
> bunch doing dynamic updates to their local DNS and others not. That is what I
> meant.  But...

My understanding from my pre-Samba days with Win2003 and older servers (so
it may be out of date) is that while MS DNS has support for zone
transfers, MS AD DCs running DNS do not support zone transfers.  That
means if you want to mix Linux and Windows DCs and DNS servers, you must
use BIND9_DLZ or Samba's internal DNS.  If you don't care about
interoperability, you could probably use flat files just fine, assuming
you don't mind the extra work (either manual DNS updates or scripting it
yourself).

I'm not certain, but you might also lose the ability for Windows clients
to update their own DNS entries.  Some people might consider that a plus.

> Again, it SEEMS I have DLZ working.  And I am a newbie here.  But there
> may be somethings I have missed still.  Like the contents of:
>
> /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf.update
>
> Which I did not see in the wiki where to include.  See separate question
> on that forthcoming....

It's mentioned here, as an additional step for people still on BIND 9.7:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_BIND_as_backend_for_Samba_AD#BIND_9.7_2