[Samba] Bind flat file support

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 8 13:04:53 UTC 2015

I thought about this overnight...

On 09/07/2015 07:41 PM, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> It doesn't break compatibility with MS, unless you're talking about
> the RSAT DNS tool, which is a lot more cumbersome than a text editor
> anyway and it's pretty much assumed that if you're using Samba you're
> a Linux sysadmin, so not being able to use the RSAT DNS tool should
> not be a problem.

If you mix MS servers and backup ADs with Samba, seems you will have one
bunch doing dynamic updates to their local DNS and others not. That is
what I meant.  But...

It seems the challenge is to define all your clients in your forwards
and reverse zone.  If you know all their MAC addrs, you can set DHCP to
give them the same IP addr all the time, then flat file your DNS
accordingly. One challenge will be the IPv6 entries (one thing I don't
think Rowland's script handles yet).

However about MAC address.  Note I am active in IEEE 802 and IETF. There
we are discussing the privacy leakage problem of MAC addresses and
working out how to use randomized MAC local scope addresses. This is
changes minimally to DHCP but things cascade from there. One thing we
are working with is the DHCP hostname, which can be separate from the
actual host name.  ISC is patching DHCP so that when the name comes in
with a different MAC address the old lease can be released and a new one
issued (or the old one reused, but that would be a privacy breakage).
Plus the IPv6 address, based on the MAC address would be different
anyway.  So if you care about your user's privacy and what the standards
people are doing to increase privacy, the above static MAC/IP DHCP setup
will break at some future point.

Again, it SEEMS I have DLZ working.  And I am a newbie here.  But there
may be somethings I have missed still.  Like the contents of:

/var/lib/samba/private/named.conf.update

Which I did not see in the wiki where to include.  See separate question
on that forthcoming....