[Samba] Samba AD DC, DHCP & Address Assignments

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Tue Sep 8 13:04:51 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I should have considered this beforehand...  Assumed the info would be
in the Wiki somewhere.  Cannot find.

The way our LAN has been working is clients use DHCP, but all address
assignments are static.  Thus, when a given PC asks "what's my
address?", the DHCP server looks at the MAC address and asks the
configured resolver what is the IP address for the hostname for that
MAC address.

E.g.:

   subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

        group {
            server-name "deepthought.example.com";
            option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.2;
            option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
            option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;

            option routers 192.168.0.1;

            option netbios-name-servers 192.168.0.2;
            option netbios-node-type 2;

            host somepc.example.com {
                hardware ethernet 0a:1b:2c:3d:4e:5f;
                fixed-address somepc.example.com;
            }
        }
    }

And the zone file on deepthought might read something like...

    somepc    IN    A    192.168.0.10

In this manner: We always know who's who, and we don't have employees
throwing random things on the LAN and getting addresses.

Problem with the AD DC is that it lives in a sub-domain,
"addc.example.com", and the zone for that sub-domain is a dlz. So...
how do I set/assign client PCs' IP addresses?

Thanks,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is