[Samba] internal DNS with Samba4 AD is losing A records

Christiane Baier baier at uni-trier.de
Tue Sep 8 09:31:25 UTC 2015

Hi there,

we moved our Windows 2008 AD to a Samba4 DC/AD on ubuntu 14.04 with
Samba 4.1 packages from sernet. We don't have a Windows DC any more.
Everything works well, except that our DNS is losing A records over
night. Adding them with

samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 ourdomain.de PCHV2 A <ip> -Uadministrator

works and displays the message 'Record added successfully', but the next
day added record is gone. DNS replication between both linux Samba DC is
working.

samba-tool dns query localhost ourdomain.de @ ALL -U administrator

shows the same entries on both servers.

PTR Records do not change. It's only the A records which can't be added
permanently.

What am I missing here?

Kind Regards

Chris