[Samba] Bind flat file support

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Sep 7 23:14:54 UTC 2015

On 09/07/2015 06:02 PM, John Gardeniers wrote:
> Is there any chance that support for Bind flat files will return? I
> understand the various (extremely weak) arguments against it but DLZ
> not only sucks big time, it limits proper functionality and
> inter-operability, necessitating significant design changes for
> anything but the simplest of networks. Additionally, it doesn't work
> with the existing scripts many people use. I know that samba-tool can
> be used in scripts but due to its inadequate error checking it's
> incredibly easy to break the DNS.
>
> There are very good reasons why nearly every admin I know prefers flat
> file. Ultimately, there is nothing easier than editing in text mode
> and on the extremely rare occasion that an error does creep in it's
> ultra easy to remedy.

YOu break interoperablity with MS.  Of course, see the bind list about
Mark Andrew's comment about MS and EDNS.

It is taking me a bit to get this figured out.  I am a bit determined,
and Rowland has been a great help.

Next I need to see how to change the SOA TTL for my zones (with
samba-tool) to turn down the time to get a reasonable zone transfer setting.

And many big DNS users have left flat files for DLZ in one form or
another.  It is the only way they can keep up with their customers.