[Samba] Bind flat file support

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Mon Sep 7 22:02:23 UTC 2015

Is there any chance that support for Bind flat files will return? I
understand the various (extremely weak) arguments against it but DLZ not
only sucks big time, it limits proper functionality and
inter-operability, necessitating significant design changes for anything
but the simplest of networks. Additionally, it doesn't work with the
existing scripts many people use. I know that samba-tool can be used in
scripts but due to its inadequate error checking it's incredibly easy to
break the DNS.

There are very good reasons why nearly every admin I know prefers flat
file. Ultimately, there is nothing easier than editing in text mode and
on the extremely rare occasion that an error does creep in it's ultra
easy to remedy.

regards,
John