[Samba] How to learn abut what is in the samba ldap directory

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Sep 6 18:18:19 UTC 2015

On 09/06/2015 01:26 PM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Am 06.09.2015 um 19:08 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>> I once upon a time worked with DAP and watched LDAP being created as
>> something that actually could work...
> what are your goals, by editing LDAP stuff in AD?
>
> For beginners, I think ADUC (Active Directory User and Computer), which
> is part of RSAT (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Installing_RSAT), is
> the best way to change attributes on directory objects.
>
> On each object you have an "Attributes" tab, that allows you to access
> all attributes in an easy way.
>
> Beside deleting some important objects (don't delete if you're not
> knowing the results!), I think this is the easiest and safest way for
> beginners.

I just want to understand what information is in the ldap directory.

What does the schema(s) containg?

What did the classicupgrade create?

What gets added when I add a server?

A user?

Did any of my users get added via the classicupgrade?

I know better than to change things with something like phpldapadmin.  I
have messed up enough things in the past with phpmysqladmin!  :)