[Samba] AD order of installation

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 4 12:19:30 UTC 2015

I don't see the following at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller

There is an 'order' of installation for an AD.  Some things must come
before others, some things can come when you may.  Here is my take based
on what I have learned over the past weeks:

OS installation (listed for completeness, even though this is a 'dah' item).
NTP time services
CUPS (seems to go anywhere, though)
Samba provisioning (this includes ldap and kerberos setup)
DNS with DLZ
Kerberos
DHCP/DHCP6
Adjust Samba configuration
Start Samba

Do I have the order right?  Have I left anything out?

For a file server (which I have not tackled yet) it seems it would be:

OS installation (listed for completeness, even though this is a 'dah' item).
Static IP config (could be fixed MAC dhcp provisioning?)
NTP time sync
CUPS (seems to go anywhere, though)
DNS entries on AD (automatic if MAC-based dhcp provisioning?)
Adjust Samba configuration
Start Samba
Join Domain

This sort of information at the beginning of the documentation would
help a newbie to know what they are getting themselves into!