[Samba] Samba4.2.3 Authentication

Nitin Pande NPande at idealstor.com
Wed Sep 2 07:56:42 UTC 2015

Hello,

Need your guidance in setting up SAMBA 4.2.3 on CentOS7 with proper authentication.

Below are the details of my smb.conf file.

Problem: incorrect authentication when accessing share from windows machine

a) "worm" share is guest only and can be accessed by any person without authentication
b) "secure_worm" is share which require authentication from the user

when I have only one share(worm or secure_worm) configured in samba, everything works fine, however problem starts when I have both these configuration and user tries to access both share

i) I use \\10.0.0.21 which shows me two share named "worm" & "secure_worm", when I click on secure_worm it asks me for user name and password, with correct credentials I can access and work with share, now if I close and open the explorer and try to access these share, I am get into "secure_worm" folder without authentication and I am asked for authentication for the "worm" folder which is incorrect.

If I restart the samba service or restart the workstation service in windows everything works fine for first connection and once I authenticate secure_worm folder, above mentioned problem starts coming up again.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        workgroup = IDEALSTOR
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        idmap config * : backend = tdb

[worm]
        comment = WORM functionality on the client side
        path = /idealstor/worm_data
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        vfs objects = worm
        worm:grace_period = 30           # 30 seconds

[secure_worm]
        comment = WORM functionality on the client side
        path = /idealstor/secure_worm_data
        valid users = @iGroup
        read only = No
        vfs objects = worm
        worm:grace_period = 30           # 30 seconds

Regards
Nitin