[Samba] on linux samba file shares, groups and user are randomlly lost. Using samba4 as Domain controller

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 12:49:31 UTC 2015

On 01/09/15 12:04, Mario Pio Russo wrote:

> [...]
>          idmap config * : backend = tdb
>          invalid users = root, daemon, bin, sys, sync, games, man, lp, mail,
> news, uucp, proxy, www-data, backup, list, irc, g
> nats, Debian-exim, sshd, ntpd
>          acl group control = Yes
>          aio read size = 1
>          aio write size = 1
>          map acl inherit = Yes
>          hide files = /lost+found/
>          follow symlinks = No
>          dos filemode = Yes
>          vfs objects = full_audit
>
> [workplace]
>        comment              = ICS - CSI mantis build and daily kits folder
>        path                 = /export/ICS/CSI/workplace
>        valid users          = @"domainusers"
>        force create mode    = 750
>        force directory mode = 740
>        writeable            = Yes
>        browseable           = Yes
>
> [labadmins]
>        comment              = ICS - CSI Admins Share
>        path                 = /export/ICS/CSI/labadmins
>        valid users          = @smbLabAdmins
>        force create mode    = 750
>        force directory mode = 740
>        writeable            = Yes
>        browseable           = Yes
>

> samba AD :
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          workgroup = CCDC
>          realm = CCDC.LAN
>          netbios name = CCDC-SAMBA4-DC1
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
>          server services = -winbindd +winbind
>          dns forwarder = 9.0.138.50
>          #server services = -winbindd +winbind
>          idmap config CCDC:backend = ad
>          idmap config CCDC:schema_mode = rfc2307
>          idmap config CCDC:range = 10000-40000
>

>          # Store UIDs/GIDs for all other domains (including local
>          # accounts/groups of this server) in a tdb file
>          idmap config *:backend = tdb
>          idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
>
>          # Use home directory and shell information from AD
>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>
>          tls enabled  = yes
>          tls keyfile  = tls/myKey.pem
>          tls certfile = tls/myCert.pem
>          tls cafile   =
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ccdc.lan/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>          read only = No
>

> Funny thing is that I can't find anything relevant in the logs of the file
> share server.
>
> Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Mario Pio Russo, System Admin SWG IT Services Dublin, Phone & FAX: +353 1
> 815 2236, eMail: mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com
> IBM Ireland Product Distribution Limited registered in Ireland with number
> 92815. Registered Office: IBM House, Shelbourne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic39243.gif)

OK, I recommend you change your smb.conf files to these:

[global]
         workgroup = CCDC
         realm = CCDC.LAN
         security = ADS
         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
         server string = CSI Samba Server
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         winbind cache time = 15
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 2000-9999
         idmap config CCDC : backend = rid
         idmap config CCDC : range = 10000-20000
[...]
         vfs objects = acl_xattr full_audit
         store dos attributes = Yes

[...]

I would also recommend Installing the 'acl' & 'attr' packages (if not
already installed), read up on using POSIX ACLs and lose the 'force'
lines in the member server conf and use POSIX ACLs instead.

Rowland