[Samba] can't log in as domain admin

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Oct 24 00:26:41 UTC 2015

I'm running Debian/Jessie (stable) on an AMD64 machine, with Samba
Version 4.1.17-Debian. This is the domain controller, DNS server, Time
server and File server for the local network.

The problem I'm having is that Windows machines sometimes can't open
files for editing. Other files in the same directory don't have that
problem.

When I look at the Unix permissions, the files causing problems have a
windows user number as the owner while the ones that don't cause
problems are owned by nobody. In both cases the Unix permissions are
everyone has read-write-execute access to the files. Changing the Unix
permission had no impact.

Where I hit the snag however was trying to change the ACLs so that
Domain Users should have read/write/execute permissions. I can't log in
with the domain administrator account on any of the Windows machines. I
get an error message saying user name or password is incorrect.

I've used smb-tool on the DC to change the password so I know it is
correct. And Domain Admins are in the local Administrators group on the
Windows machines.

Any tips on tracking down the problem?