[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 22 11:26:54 UTC 2015

Commented within...

[L.P.H. van Belle] this depends, i use nfs3 or nfs4 or cifs.
Based on my needs, aka where users login and not.
I have for example only 5 linux users, mostly on a different server then the users and company data.

> >> Louis, do you always put the user in the "Unix Attributes" of the
> Domain
> >> Users group? Probably that is necessary for group membership to work
> >> correctly on linux, right? I just recently discovered this tab and was
> >> wondering about it.
> > [L.P.H. van Belle]
> > Yes, in 90% of all case i use "domain users" why ..
> > All computer are member of "domain users"
> > All users are member of "domain users"
> > With share rights and security rights you protect the company folders.
> > Example.
> > \\servername\data
> > 	\Folder1
> > 	\Folder2
> >
> > Group right on folder1 is "group users folder1 "
> > anyone member of folder 1 can write, set "group creating special right"
> > Now everyone in this folder can write but set to group rights = domain
> users. Result, no problems with file created by users, and users Owning
> files.
> >
> > Same for folder 2.
> > BUT, users in "folder 1 group" can not access the Folder2, because of
> "GROUP Folder access"
> >
> > I hope it explains a bit..
>
> Sorry, Louis, I appreciate the effort, but you lost me completely. Of
> course, I use the Domain Users group. But is it necessary to fill it on
> the Unix Attributes tab as well? That was the question, Rowland said 'no'.
>
> Apart from that: With 'group right' you mean Unix permissions and not
> Windows ACLs, right? Do you actually create AD user groups just for
> managing access right to single particular folders?
> to a group other then domain users. And or set creating special right and
> user special right.
[L.P.H. van Belle] ok, i'll try in most simple terms per example
( a windows minded setup )
For a windows pc. you map a share, like drive K:  ( \\servername\sharename )
A users wil see
K:\folder1   	(windows group : Group_folder1 )
K:\folder2 		(windows group : Group_folder2 )

Now if in ADUC you keep the GID on Domain Users.
Files in folder1 are created and get rights : username:"Domain Users"
Because of the "Group_folder" member ship (and same for folder2)
A user can access folder1 (or 2) only if they are group member.
And visa versa.

Now i have 1 user which is also a unix user. ( i assigned him a uid/gid )
BUT for my unix acl rights i need to set the primary group to the group the unix users need.

To make things more easy, i always set :
acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes
on my shares. Windows ignores the rights for unix. But if i work from ssh.
The unix rights do apply, and in this case you need to set the corrrect GID on the "K:\Folder1"

So folder1 in linux, is for example, /home/samba/folder1
And has unix rights root:LinuxGroup
( and the "LinuxGroup" can be a windows group with GID)
And Windows ignores the linux rights, so windows users can access these files also.

Its a bit fiddeling around, testing until you get/set what you want.
And, this works for me, but maybe your environment does not apply for a setup like this.

Best is to read :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_home_drives
( only i change [home] for [users]  so these things dont get mixed up. )
And on the User home drives link..  read the "On *nix"
The important part.
"This entry only appears, if you had assigned a UID in the „Unix Attributes“ tab before the home was created!"

Hope its bit more clear, i dont know how to better explain..  :-/