[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 22 10:09:15 UTC 2015

Am 22.10.2015 um 11:36 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle:
> Commented within...

Thanks, wasn't aware of that!

>>> Users can access these shares.. but only see there own folders IF the
>> share and folder rights are set correctly.
>>> For example. All my users have 770 on
>> \\servername.domain.tld\users\%username%
>>> Which gives in my case, username:Domain Users  ( the unix primary group
>> )
>>> The share rights tells that "everybody" has all rights.
>>> ( you can change this to domain user for example, but i need everybody )
>>>
>>> The Access rights ( security tab ) there we set domain users with the
>> advanced settings to : Only this folder.
>>> So resulted in ( for windows ) user see only there folders, for linux
>> users access to all user folders. Which i need for distributing file etc
>> in user dirs.
>> I actually see a problem here, as we have linux member servers, where
>> users shouldn't be allowed to browse each others files. This linux
>> behavior gives me a real headache sometimes. Therefore I use
>> username:Domain Admins.
> [L.P.H. van Belle] thats a possebilty yes, but i suggest dont abuse the "Domain Admins" just create an other group set GID and use that one.
> You will be even more flexible.
>
>>> For the profile path
>>> \\servername.domain.tld\profiles\%username%
>>> Here key is, user "SYSTEM" is use for creating the profiles folders.
>>> Which is the account the computer users and most importand that "SYSTEM"
>> has all rights. ( and which exists on all windows computers )
>>> And the profile folder is created at Logoff, not like the users folder
>> at klik OK/Apply.
>>> The "LOCAL PATH" is normaly ony used for terminal server.
>>>
>>> The Unix tab
>>> In this case.
>>> \\servername.domain.tld\users\%username%
>>> Which is /home/users/%username%
>>>
>>> Users is shared
>> What do you mean by that?
> [L.P.H. van Belle]
>
> in ADUC tab Profile
> \\servername.domain.tld\users\%username% = "connect to drive" + path
>
> In ADUC tab Unix attributes.
> /home/users/%username%
> Which is the same as above. In profile tab.
I meant "Users is shared", but Rowland already cleared this up (thanks!)

Louis, with which method and options (permissions also) do you make
"\\servername.domain.tld\users" accessible on domain member servers?

>>> And GID is set to "domain users"
>> Louis, do you always put the user in the "Unix Attributes" of the Domain
>> Users group? Probably that is necessary for group membership to work
>> correctly on linux, right? I just recently discovered this tab and was
>> wondering about it.
> [L.P.H. van Belle]
> Yes, in 90% of all case i use "domain users" why ..
> All computer are member of "domain users"
> All users are member of "domain users"
> With share rights and security rights you protect the company folders.
> Example.
> \\servername\data
> 	\Folder1
> 	\Folder2
>
> Group right on folder1 is "group users folder1 "
> anyone member of folder 1 can write, set "group creating special right"
> Now everyone in this folder can write but set to group rights = domain users. Result, no problems with file created by users, and users Owning files.
>
> Same for folder 2.
> BUT, users in "folder 1 group" can not access the Folder2, because of "GROUP Folder access"
>
> I hope it explains a bit..

Sorry, Louis, I appreciate the effort, but you lost me completely. Of
course, I use the Domain Users group. But is it necessary to fill it on
the Unix Attributes tab as well? That was the question, Rowland said 'no'.

Apart from that: With 'group right' you mean Unix permissions and not
Windows ACLs, right? Do you actually create AD user groups just for
managing access right to single particular folders?