[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 21 15:45:42 UTC 2015

Ok. Thank you very much!

So - just guessing - is this working in your case, as you actually named
the share on the file server 'homes' as the [homes] section in the
smb.conf? No, that can't be the case. There is no 'path' parameter in
that section of yours.

Out of curiosity: who is the owner of your auto-created homes according
to a) Windows and b) Linux?

@Rowland: I think what the wiki means is: if you just define an
arbitrary share on your file server, mount this on your linux member
server to e.g. /xyz, and then on the DC via the Unix Attributes (using
rfc2307) define the user home as /xyz/newuser, this home dir is
automatically created. I did this in the past. Of course, you have to
cifs-mount the share with the right permission for the user to be able
to auto-create his home during his first logon.

In contrast, the [homes] section is not intended to be used as an actual
share definition, as it is a designated special-purpose section. And,
thus, the just described auto-creation of user homes wouldn't/shouldn't
work. But it can work with root preexec, which isn't described on that
wiki page you cite.

Now you tell me that you even have a preexec parameter in the [homes]
section on the DC that is working?! Are the actual homes in this case
located on the DC?

I am on the verge of losing my mind.