[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Wed Oct 21 17:35:18 UTC 2015

On 19:10:05 wrote Ole Traupe:
> Ok. Thank you very much!
>
> So - just guessing - is this working in your case, as you actually
> named the share on the file server 'homes' as the [homes] section in
> the smb.conf? No, that can't be the case. There is no 'path'
> parameter in that section of yours.
>
> Out of curiosity: who is the owner of your auto-created homes
> according to a) Windows and b) Linux?
>

> @Rowland: I think what the wiki means is: if you just define an
> arbitrary share on your file server, mount this on your linux member
> server to e.g. /xyz, and then on the DC via the Unix Attributes
> (using rfc2307) define the user home as /xyz/newuser, this home dir
> is automatically created. I did this in the past. Of course, you
> have to cifs-mount the share with the right permission for the user
> to be able to auto-create his home during his first logon.
>
> In contrast, the [homes] section is not intended to be used as an
> actual share definition, as it is a designated special-purpose
> section. And, thus, the just described auto-creation of user homes
> wouldn't/shouldn't work. But it can work with root preexec, which
> isn't described on that wiki page you cite.
>
> Now you tell me that you even have a preexec parameter in the [homes]
> section on the DC that is working?! Are the actual homes in this case
> located on the DC?
>
> I am on the verge of losing my mind.
Never mind.

I am pretty sure that the preexec function is working on all shares. You
may get confused by the share names for the users home. I believe that
this is right (not tested):

use [homes] on all smb servers, but not on DCs
use [home] only on DCs

where DC means AD style DCs, not NT4 style PDC/BDC

and remember that winbind use this path as default for [home[s]]:
/home/%D/%U

Reread Rowlands mail:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-October/195162.html

--