[Samba] Problem with old version of Samba - 2.2.7a

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Sun Oct 4 12:32:02 UTC 2015

"Reindl Harald"  wrote in message news:56110F09.9080909 at thelounge.net...

Thanks for the reply Harald, but I am afraid I don’t really understand. I am
no expert in these matters, so I am not sure of the correct terminology.

You talk about 'disabling the shell'. Do you mean create a second account
for the user, with no Unix password and no login, and use that for Samba?

I can see that that could work, but is it necessary? I am using a much later
version of Samba (4.2.2) on Fedora 22, and that 'just works'. I have a user
account that I can log into, and I can access the same home directory from
Windows using Samba. Are you saying that there was a restriction in older
versions of Samba that prevented you from doing that?

Frank