[Samba] Problem with old version of Samba - 2.2.7a

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 4 11:35:37 UTC 2015

Am 04.10.2015 um 13:20 schrieb Frank Millman:
> This is a question about a very old version of Samba - 2.2.7a. Hope that
> is ok.
>
> I have an old machine running Redhat 9, which ships with 2.2.7a. I have
> some old software that needs RH9, but I want to move it to a newer
> machine, so I am trying to reinstall RH9 on a new hdd, and set up Samba
> at the same time.

ouch why not virtualize the existing setup
http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/

> The problem is that , whatever I try, if a Windows machine tries to
> connect, I get 'smb_pam_auth' failed. The trick that was used to get
> around this was to edit /etc/passwd and remove the 'x' in the second
> parameter from the user's entry, which means that the user can log in on
> the Unix side without a password. There is an smb password, and the
> Windows client has to supply this password, but it can then see the home
> directory without a problem.
>
> I can use the same trick on the new machine - it is not exposed to the
> internet, so it is not a security risk. However, I would much prefer to
> understand the problem and fix it properly

this is proper behavior

samba needs the smbpasswd for login and at the same time the pyhsical
user under which the worker process is running on the host

you can use a random password for the unix account and even disable the
shell, the only relevant password in context of samba is the one set
with "smbpasswd"

in fact that's how fileserver accounts are setup here
both, samba and netatalk are fine with that

the only difference: netatalk is using the unix account password and so
in doubt set "smbpasswd" and "passwd" for the user to the same and just
disable the shell

reindl:x:1028:2000:Harald Reindl:/storage/users/reindl:/sbin/nologin