[Samba] ntlm_password_check: LM password, NT MD4 password in LM field and LMv2 failed for user username

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:17:44 UTC 2015

If the problem machines are Windows 8 or later machines, it *could *be an
SMB protocol negotiation issue. Windows 8 will attempt to negotiate SMB
3.11, but samba < 4.3 will cap at SMB 3.0. SMB 3.11 support came out with
Samba 4.3.x.

If this is the problem, you could either disable SMB2/3 on the Windows 8
box as noted in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547, or possibly
consider upgrading to Samba 4.3.x if that's possible. Not sure at all about
the sernet distro/versioning.