[Samba] how to see samba servers in win 7 network

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Sun Nov 22 16:37:43 UTC 2015

Greetings, Lanny Baron!

Please don't top-post. Thank you.

>>> Have a few samba servers in a small network. The only way any windows
>>> client can see shares is to use \\servername
>>>
>>> From the samba pdc, running smbclient -L pdc-server -N shows list of
>>> servers. So its not an issue of the samba server being able to
>>> resolve other member servers.
>>>
>>> Opening Network only shows the local computer (itself). I have
>>> searched around and find any fix for this.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> If your shares are on a Samba AD DC, then They will not be visible by
>> network browsing, this is because the 'nbt' part of the 'samba' binary
>> does not contain the required code and you cannot use the 'nmbd'
>> binary on a DC.

> Hi,
> There is no AD server. Just a few freebsd/ubuntu servers. The PDC server
> has security = user and the other member servers have security = domain

> There are no windows servers in this small network. Only windows and
> ubuntu clients. The ubuntu clients can see all the samba servers. Only
> windows clients can't

Can they (windows clients) see each other?
WHAT are these windows clients? What OS version?
Do the Windows clients have "network discovery" enabled?
Do they all have correct workgroup set?
You may try disabling "browser" service on Windows clients to prevent their
participation in election.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin