[Samba] Join Samba without GC role

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 17 08:52:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 08:27 +0000, Luchko Dmitriy wrote:
> I created test environment: 1 root domain, 2 subdomain. I created
> about 250000 user accounts in subdomain 2 (sub2.company.com) ntds.dit
> 14gb. Joining samba in first subdomain (sub1) was without problem.
>  But in production environment (with a lot of domains and objects)
> python process was hung with 100% CPU (after 6 hour we killed hung
> process).
> Why can this happened? This is samba subdomain support limitation,
> tdb database limitation, feature works samba with  big active
> directrory infrastructure (a lot sites, domains and objects), or is
> this bug?

Samba has simply never been designed or tested for use in the presence
of subdomains, nor for that number of objects.

We hope to add subdomain support, and I have done some work towards
that, but it is as you have noticed, unfinished.

We would also like to improve Samba to scale up, and to support more
diverse domain structures, but it isn't a small task.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett