[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:33:06 UTC 2015

On 7 November 2015 at 12:37, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/15 11:31, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to narrow it down to a particular set of circumstances but
>> it's so intermittent, I'm really struggling.
>
> The problem is, sssd now uses its own version of winbind, this came in (I
> believe) with version 1.12.0 but I 'think' red-hat backport some things to
> earlier versions. As I understand it, you will be probably be using
> 1.11.6-30 and it is the '30' that says what it contains, perhaps you are
> using winbindd and don't realise it. Try reading the changelog for your
> version of sssd and/or ask sssd.

I'm actually on 1.12.4-47.el6 - but I'm pretty sure that this problem
has nothing to do with sssd, as Samba won't be getting any information
from sssd, will it? The sssd part works just fine; it's the samba
internal piece (smbd/winbind?) that seems to be failing.

Only connections from remote Windows clients via samba are affected.
There are no problems with local UNIX authentication via sssd.

> If it isn't a sssd problem, then you will need to raise samba logging to 10,
> wait until it happens again and see if you can see anything in the logs. At
> this point, you can then log a bug report with something to back it up.

I will do that - thank you - but I imagine my logs will grow very
quickly, as I may well need days or weeks of logs before something
happens. Is there a sub-set of logging that I can turn on just for the
UID mapping code, do you know? Otherwise I'll just set debug level 10
and perhaps move my logs onto a separate disk, with more free space...

Cheers,

Jonathan

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"