[Samba] Samba 4 BDC to Windows 2008 PDC

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu May 28 12:40:35 MDT 2015

Hello Dennison,

Am 28.05.2015 um 01:28 schrieb Dennison Williams:
> The documentation for running Samba as a BDC clearly states that it is
> not operational with a Windows PDC [1], but this documentation covers
> Samba-3 and it was suggested in IRC by scooby2 that this functionality
> is now suported in Samba 4.  Can anyone else confirm this?  Should I use
> the documentation for Smaba BDC or is there more current documentation
> for this functionality?

PDC/BDC are terms in the NT4 domain world. If you're running 2008, you
have a _DC_ in an _AD_. Replication in an AD is multi-directional. So
there's no master/slave.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Terms_and_Abbreviations#Domain_Controller_.28DC.29

However, if you want to add a Samba DC to your existing AD:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC

Regards,
Marc