[Samba] hardware sizing and configuration

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Wed May 13 10:35:34 MDT 2015

Greetings, Mike!

>>> Understanding that a samba 4.x ADDC should be run on a an os separate
>>> than a samba 4. file server, I was thinking of virtualizing both. Is it
>>> common to have a single physcial server with two VM's running samba?
>>
>>  You don't need VM's.
>>
>>> If some is there a recommendation on how much hardware to start with and
>>> how much virtual hardware to give each VM.
>>
>>  None. Seriously, you're overcomplicating things.
>>
>>> I'm wondering about virtual nics and if there may be a problems have
>>> multiple vm's accessing the network through a single physcial nic.
>>
>>  No need to wonder.
>>  man ip | grep -C7 macvlan
>>
>>> This is an ADDC and file server for a small office so numbers of users
>>> will be below 50. Any recommendations?
>>
>>  What is the host OS you're using/plan to use?

> I am testing a small AD DC setup with 65 users and would like to know if
> you've had stable experience with running DC and File Server on one server.

On one server, but not in one instance.
I'm using in-kernel capabilities of latest Linux kernels to create separate
instances for DC and other daemons.

> My test server is Dell Poweredge 2950 with SAS hard drives and 16 GB RAM.
> So far everything runs normally with no high load and similar I/O on samba
> ports compared to the old standalone Samba 3 server I will be replacing.

Intel Atom, 1Gb RAM, DC and MySQL server in separate containers.
Host itself runs a fileserver as a member server.
8 to 16 users, high traffic spikes (users work with large documents stored on
network shares).
Only issues so far are the user mapping management and new share creation on
member server. I can't get the rights management straight yet.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...