[Samba] Resolving computeraccount$

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue May 12 12:50:40 MDT 2015

On 12/05/15 19:30, Davor Vusir wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Many questions are asked and answered about resolving user accounts.
> But does winbind resolve computer accounts?
>
> To elaborate some: it is perfectly all right to add computer accounts
> to access groups and use them in ACLs on a share or folder. For
> instance you would like a startup script to run on a client computer
> before a user logs on. Or perhaps you would like a server (account) to
> put/get a file on/from a share. MS SQL Server 2012 supports using UNC
> paths for both locating database file and backup to. Under certain
> circumstances the computer account is used for authorization.
>
> There have been many, and sometimes lenghty, discussions about the
> need of uid- and gidnumbers on the list. But how does winbind handle
> computer accounts?
>
> Regards
> Davor Vusir

Never actually had to do it, but I would image that you could give a
computer a uidNumber, if you look at the objectclasses for a user, you
will find this:

objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user

A computer is somewhat similar:

objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user
objectClass: computer

To AD a computer is just a user, but just slightly different.

Rowland