[Samba] Secondary DC as fileserver within VirtualBox

bogdan_bartos admin at blackpenguin.org
Mon May 11 21:02:47 MDT 2015

Hi,

I setup a secondary DC to server as a fileserver for testing purposes. The
DC (DCBACKUP) in question runs on top of a Fedora 21 x64 with VirtualBox.
The DC OS also runs Fedora 21 x64.

The smb.conf follows:
[global]
	workgroup = BPDNET
	realm = ad.blackpenguin.org
	netbios name = DCBACKUP
	vfs objects = acl_xattr
	map acl inherit = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes
[netlogon]
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.blackpenguin.org/scripts
	read only = No
[sysvol]
	read only = No
[images]
    path = /home/data/images
    read only = No

The filesystem on the DC is set with ACLs:
/dev/mapper/fedora--server-home /home                   ext4
user_xattr,acl,barrier=1        1 1

The /home/data folder is a machine shared folder via VirtualBox. The
underlying Linux OS does not have ACLs enabled. I noticed that I cannot
change any rights on any folder created under /home/data. Has anyone tried
anything similar to this? I'm only concerned about the share security.

The reason to implement this is to try the setup. My primary domain
controller works just perfectly - it is a physical machine, but my secondary
DC has to be virtual and has to be able to do storage. However the share
resource cannot be on the virtual machine since this will accommodate
hundreds of gigs and the VM cannot and should not grow to that size.