[Samba] Trouble Connecting Windows 8.1 RSAT to Samba Domain

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:15:57 MDT 2015

Marc,

Sounds like a great presentation and I wish I could attend.
The steps are:

1.  Downloaded and installed the RSAT for Windows 8.1 X64.

2.  Log into Windows 8.1 client with Domain Administrator account.

3.  Execute Server Manager.

4.  From Server Manager Dashboard, I choose "Manage" from the top menu, and
then Add Servers.

5.  The Add Servers screen shows up with the Active Directory Tab
highlighted.  It already shows the samba server domain name.  Example:  if
full domain name is internal.example.com, what shows in the Location: field
is "internal".

6.  I fill in the CN:  a10 and click Find Now.  The Samba server machine
name shows up in the field below.  I highlight it and then click the ">"
button to make it show up in the "Selected" field to the right.  Then click
OK.

7.  I'm then back at the All Servers page and I click the Refresh option
under Tasks drop-down menu.  The refresh fails and produces a red flag
icon.  The error details state:

a10:  Refresh failed with the following error:  The RPC Server is
unavailable.
a10:  Configuration refresh failed with the following error:  The metadata
failed to be retrieved from the server, due to the following error:  WinRM
cannot complete the operation.  Verify that the specified computer name is
valid, that the computer is accessible over the network, and that a
firewall exception for the WinRM service is enabled and allows access from
this computer.  By default, the WinRM firewall exception for public
profiles limits access to remote computers within the same local subnet.

The windows client is on the same local subnet.
The windows client can authenticate to the samba server using the domain
User account and/or the Administrator account.
All necessary ports are open on the samba server.
The computer name is correct and hostname -f reports
a10.internal.example.com.

I appreciate your help.  Please let me know if there's anything else I can
provide.
Best regards,
Mike