[Samba] Trouble Connecting Windows 8.1 RSAT to Samba Domain

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon May 4 12:14:16 MDT 2015

Hello Mike,

Am 04.05.2015 um 15:50 schrieb Mike:
> I saw the following thread in the samba list archives but no solution:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=samba&m=141214808508452&w=2
>
> Host OS:  CentOS ver 7.1503
> Samba:  Version 4.1.17-SerNet-RedHat-11.el7
> Samba4 is running with internal DNS.
> I'm able to add a domain user with samba-tool and connect Win 8.1 client to
> the domain.
>
> When I run Microsoft Server Manager and try to "manage" the server using
> Administrator credentials, I receive the following error:
>
> "Target computer not accessible 5/4/2015."
>
> The Server Manager activity notification states, "The refresh failed
> because WinRM is not running and could not be started."
>
> I have performed ipconfig /all on the Win 8.1 client and Samba4 box is
> listed in the "DNS Server" output.

Can you give some step-by-step instructions, so I an try to reproduce it?

I just installed the RSAT, opened ADUC, DNS, etc. or started mmc.exe and
added the corresponding snap-ins.

> Sidenote:  I'm curious how many Samba4 domain admins choose to use the RSAT
> tools; or, whether most prefer to use samba-tool to config and manage the
> domain users, groups, and services.

This answer is part of my SambaXP presentation (http://www.sambaxp.org/)
in two weeks. ;-)

Slides, raw data and a full report of the user survey I will publish
after the conference and announce here on the list, as well.

Regards,
Marc