[Samba] Cannot authenticate the administrator account (solved)

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Mon May 4 12:53:42 MDT 2015

Am 01.05.2015 um 16:49 schrieb samba-request at lists.samba.org:
> why... uhmm if im correct..
>
> i'll try to explain. . my english is not that good..;-)
>
> Your kerberos request =>  Resolving => resolving order, ( hosts files => DNS )

I have done a bit of research on that matter, and the result is the
following:

Assuming your system is using nsswitch (most current systems will), the
name resolution methods and priority are defined in nsswitch.conf. The
services and order are configurable.

The default on my OEL7.1 box is:

hosts:	files dns
# this would indeed look into /etc/hosts, and only look in dns if no
entry is found in hosts file

Actually, that means that you need no entry but the pointers for lo in
hosts, given you have an available dns.

Nothing would prevent you from reverting the lookup order to
hosts: dns files, either.

BR

Sebastian