[Samba] sssd-ad cannot be installed with sernet samba

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Tue Mar 31 18:43:13 MDT 2015

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

>>> You could also say that sssd should be packaged in a way that works
>>> with the sernet packages.
>>
>> I'm with Luca on this one.  It's not Debian/Ubuntu's responsibility to
>> modify their distro packages work with random 3rd party packages. If
>> sernet is in the business of building supported packages for Debian
>> and/or Ubuntu, they ought to build them to work with Debian and/or
>> Ubuntu's packages.

> It all depends on what is meant by supported, Debian/Ubuntu supports
> their packages and Sernet supports their Samba packages. Why should
> Sernet support something they do not supply ?

Two points.
If package is supposed to be a replacement, it should, at the very least,
provide same names. At. The. Very. Least.
If package provide deficient functionality (nss module unable to supply
home/shell data? That's a nonsense!), it is useless and needs to be
replaced or fixed.

> Sernets packages work as a complete system, they do not need to support the
> use of sssd with their packages, their packages work without it.

You just said that they don't work. A few lines above.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...