[Samba] Simple recipe for getting started with 4.2.0

02019 accounts at 02019.org
Mon Mar 30 16:33:57 MDT 2015

Hello.

I've been continuously using samba for personal computing for >10 years,
starting way back with version 2.2.5 installed on 23 Jan 02003. Thank
you so much to the samba team for making such stable and reliable
software that I was able to configure it and then leave it almost
completely untouched for 12 years and it worked like a charm for all
that time. Fabulous software.

But now it's time for me to set up a new samba server with the latest
version. Because I really don't remember everything I read in order to
get v2.2.5 running 12 years ago, I'd like to start from a simple HOWTO
or recipe for just getting the simplest functionality (no security,
strictly guest access for a public read/write share on my LAN) working
in 4.2.0.

I bought and used Using Samba, 2ed, O'Reilly & Associates (Feb. 2003) to
help me with this 12 years ago, but I think there may be
interoperability problems between 4.2.0 and 2.2.5 because
smbclientv4.2.0 -L hostname2.2.5 -N errors out with:

"Conversion error: Incomplete multibyte sequence()
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER"

So I think it would not be a good idea to use that book now. I see at
samba.org that "(Jan 2007: The 3rd edition has been released and will be
available online soon)." but that book is apparently for samba v3.0
(which seems not much newer than my 2.2.5). And the official howto is
for version 3.5.

Other than the man pages (great for reference, but a lot to wade through
for just a simple recipe to get it running), what's the best resource
for a simple recipe to setup 4.2.0?

Is this (below) still current?

<https://www.oregontechsupport.com/samba/>

I didn't find a date on that page, but I do know that the "security =
share" (an early example from that document) setting is no longer
supported because I tried it and it wasn't recognized. So I guess that
documentation is not current.

Any suggestions for recipe-like documentation on 4.2.0?

Thanks very much samba team for making samba.

-Kevin