[Samba] samba4.2.0 crashes on connection attempt with an internal samba error...

Peter Serbe peter at serbe.ch
Fri Mar 27 18:39:18 MDT 2015

Rowland Penny schrieb am 28.03.2015 00:15:

> I installed jessie in a vm to test it, seeing as how sernet hasn't got
> round to releasing 4.2 packages yet and then Peter posted that he had
> got 4.2 running on jessie. I would love to know how he did this ?

Oh. I am a pretty newbie on this field. Maybe that helped...

First I install the basic system including LXDE. On the problem loaden
notebook I messed this up by an unsuccessful attempt to install the
non-free Nvidia drivers - no way to get the history of this clear.
Anyway, next I install ntp, xfs utilities. Next bind9 as slave DNS
pointing to my AD DCs. On the notebook I used the Debian repository,
on the servers I build from the sources as bind 9.9 hadn't been
available during my first installations.

apt-get --purge remove avahi-daemon

apt-get install build-essential libacl1-dev libattr1-dev \
   libblkid-dev libgnutls-dev libreadline-dev python-dev libpam0g-dev \
   python-dnspython gdb pkg-config libpopt-dev libldap2-dev \
   dnsutils libbsd-dev attr krb5-user docbook-xsl libcups2-dev acl \
   libncurses5-dev libssd-dev libkrb5-dev libpam-krb5

cd /to/bind/sources
./configure --prefix=/usr/            \
            --sysconfdir=/etc/bind    \
            --localstatedir=/var      \
            --with-libtool            \
            --with-openssl=/usr       \
            --with-dlopen=yes         \
            --enable-threads          \
            --with-gssapi=/usr/include/gssapi && \
make && \
make install

By then I install a dummy Bind9.9, i.e. without the AD related zones.
Next I install sssd and configure PAM.

apt-get install sssd sssd-tools libnss-sss libpam-sss libsss-sudo \
      libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit ldap-utils python-sss libsasl2-modules-ldap \
      cracklib-runtime libsss-nss-idmap0

I do fix the sssd and krb5.conf files here, even though it won't work
until samba is compiled and running.

apt-get install sssd sssd-tools libnss-sss libpam-sss libsss-sudo \
      libsasl2-modules-gssapi-mit ldap-utils python-sss libsasl2-modules-ldap \
      cracklib-runtime libsss-nss-idmap0

Then I start compiling samba.

apt-get install build-essential libacl1-dev libattr1-dev \
   libblkid-dev libreadline-dev python-dev libpam0g-dev \
   python-dnspython gdb pkg-config libpopt-dev libldap2-dev \
   dnsutils libbsd-dev attr krb5-user docbook-xsl libcups2-dev acl \
   libncurses5-dev libgnutls28-dev

*) OK, in the meantime would replace libgnutls-dev by libgnutls28-dev,

apt-get remove xsltproc -> sonst "bus error"

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba \
            --with-piddir=/usr/local/samba/var/run \
            --with-syslog \
            --with-quotas \
            --with-acl-support \
            --enable-cups \
            --with-ads \
            --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad \
&& make 2>&1 | tee -i make.log \
&& make install 2>&1 | tee -i make-install.log

Next fix DNS, try Kerberos. Then join the machine, prepare the
keytab on the DC, copy to the client and check SSSD.
Typically then I'm done... Well, there is quite a bit of housekeeping...
adjusting permissions, doing all the tests, doing a reboot etc.

On the problematic laptop I did some tests in the meantime: I installed
the Debian package - problem still exists, and booted to the standard
Debian kernel (otherwise I use 3.19.2) - also no progress. It really looks
like some missing module. It seems to be related to authentication.
But that is not exactly a clue... :-(

Best regards
Peter

PS: If I find some time, I will also set up a VM and try to install
with libgnutls28-dev without libgnutls-dev being there in advance.
But I can't promise. I have not much time over the weekend and in
the course of the next week. :-(