[Samba] NFS4 ACLs with samba 3 (or 4)

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:39:00 MDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:17:36AM -0400, Kevin Taylor wrote:
>> Name        : nfs4-acl-tools               Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 0.3.3                             Vendor: CentOS
>> Release     : 6.el6                         Build Date: Fri 22 Jun 2012 02:10:47 AM EDT
>> Install Date: Mon 31 Mar 2014 10:41:48 AM EDT      Build Host: c6b10.bsys.dev.centos.org
>> Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM: nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.3-6.el6.src.rpm
>> Size        : 104480                           License: BSD
>> Signature   : RSA/SHA1, Sun 24 Jun 2012 06:20:10 PM EDT, Key ID 0946fca2c105b9de
>> Packager    : CentOS BuildSystem <http://bugs.centos.org>
>> URL         : http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/
>> Summary     : The nfs4 ACL tools
>> Description :
>> This package contains commandline and GUI ACL utilities for the Linux
>> NFSv4 client.
>
> Thanks. Looking at that to me it seems it won't be too much
> work to adapt Samba to that API. It's just that someone has
> to do it :-)
>
> Volker

I'm staring back at a thread I started about 5 years ago about a
similar desire, at
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2010-April/155249.html

On RHEL 5, at least, the GUI was not enabled in the SRPM. I used to
publish patches to enable that. It was a pretty fragile GUI, and the
permissions are *order sensitive* in a way that the CIFS ACL is not.
So the permissions work just great, until they don't, and they can be
a nightmare to debug.

Seriously, if you have NetApp doing NFS, don't hurt yourself trying to
rewrap CIFS and Samba on top of it. This is a case where keeping it
simpler is faster, cheaper, and more robust, even if Samba is a useful
layer for specific uses.