[Samba] The RPC server is unavailable

Jesper Koivumäki jesper.koivumaki at kulturfonden.fi
Wed Mar 18 11:56:13 MDT 2015

Hi,

I'm running a samba 4.2 server on RedHat5 and for some reason I can't
seem to logon using the AD Users and Computers -tool.

Whenever I try to connect to the PDC I get the following error:

"The following Domain Controller could not be contacted: <name of pdc>.
The RPC server is unavailable."

I've checked for any possible firewall issues, but even with all
firewalls turned off in between them, I still get the same error message.

I've also noticed I cannot access the server with the Administrator
account over the network. When using smbclient I get
NT_STATUS_INVALID_SID and if I try to connect as Administrator with a
Windows 7 workstation, I just get a time out ("Error code: 0x80004005
Unspecified error).

samba-tool works without a hitch, as do a number of other tools like
ldbedit and wbinfo.

I've followed the instructions by Rowland Penny I found in the archives
for this mailing list:

http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Administrators-SID-is-invalid-td4674430.html

But I just can't get the Administrator account to work. The same error
has now also started propagating to some of my test accounts as well as
my own main account.

mots might've fixed this by installing 4.1.0, but I have yet to try
that. I figured I'd want to solve this with the current stable release.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to tackle this?

--
Kind regards,
     Jesper Koivumäki