[Samba] NTLMv2 can't auth affter Win2003 update

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 03:58:34 MDT 2015

On 17/03/15 10:28, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 17/03/15 10:13, Sense Zeng wrote:
>> And use ntlm_auth fail too:
>>
>> ntlm_auth --username=testuser
>> password:
>> NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE: Logon failure (0xc000006d)

>>> My AD server is Win2003. And my linux server is ubuntu. Samba
>>> version is
>>> 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.12 and 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.7. They are join
>>> into
>>> the Win2003 AD as normal smb servers (not DC).
>>>
>>> After Win2003 DC autoupdate last week, I can't use smbclient access all
>>> samba server with NTLMv2:
>>>
>>> ~$ smbclient //172.16.3.13/share -U testuser
>>> Enter DOMAIN\testuser's password:
>>> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>>>
>>> But when I set "client NTLMv2 auth = yes" in smb.conf with
>>> smbclient, it's
>>> success to access.
>>>
>>> And wbinfo -a failed with the plaintext password:
>>>
>>> # sudo wbinfo -a DOMAIN\\testuser%password
>>> plaintext password authentication failed
>>> Could not authenticate user DOMAIN\\testuser%password with plaintext
>>> password
>>> challenge/response password authentication succeeded
>>>
>>> Before Win2003 DC update, everything is just fine. Next list is what
>>> update had been install:
>>> KB3032323
>>> KB3039066
>>> KB3046049
>>> KB3033395
>>> KB3034344
>>> KB890830
>>> KB3002657
>>> KB3035132
>>>
>>> And now not only the samba, Win7 has same NTLM auth problem too. How
>>> can I
>>> fix it?
>>>

> Hi, you could try searching the internet with the list of 'KBs' you
> supplied (I will give you hint, start at the bottom and work up,
> missing out KB3035132)
>
> Rowland

Hi, I have been contacted by the OP off-list to tell me that my hint
helped and their problem is now fixed after microsoft replaced their
broken update.

Though why anybody would think that the problem was a Samba one, when
the only thing that had changed was on the windows side, beats me. :-)

Rowland