[Samba] strategies to run two NT4 domains or merge them on one samba host

Steffen vm3944221193788342v at vmail.inf.h-brs.de
Tue Mar 17 02:15:52 MDT 2015

Hi,

we currently run one samba v3.0 domain "DOMAIN30" with WinXP domain
members and Win7/8 accessing the file server without domain membership.

Then we run a second samba v3.5 domain "NEWDOMAIN" with WinXP/7/8 domain
members. Which was migrated from a NT4 PDC to samba 3.0 and to v3.5
eventually.

Neither domain has anything fancy about it: users and joined workstations,
but no trusts, almost no groups (could be re-created manually easily).

a) I want to upgrade at least DOMAIN30 to a samba v3.5. And preferrably
have one user base and one domain NEWDOMAIN.

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ntmigration.html

explains "If you want to merge multiple NT4 domain account databases into
one Samba domain", that I can merge user and machine accounts from
different domains into one, right?
But how can I make existing machine joined to DOMAIN30 to contact
NEWDOMAIN? Is is possible to merge two NT4 domains into one samba 3.5 and
keep all joined members?
Can I run a second smbd on the same server with another domain name that
forwards any auth request to NEWDOMAIN? Can I do something with aliases?

b) Would a migration of both NT4 domains to samba 4 help?
So I would merge the users only, create two NT4 domains in the AD and
leave the machines in there?
New machines would joine NEWDOMAIN only and eventually DOMAIN30 dies
because of lack of members.
Is there a documentation how to migrate two or more NT4 domains to smaba
4?

Kind regards,

--
Steffen